Riley’s TacosSeptember 22, 2016
Cheesy Chicken CasseroleSeptember 22, 2016
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped poblano peppers (about 2 medium peppers)
- 1 ½ scoops of your favorite salsa seasoning
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1½ cups sour cream
- 2 pounds coarsely chopped smoked chicken (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 18 (8-inch) soft taco-size corn tortillas
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and salsa seasoning: cook, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until softened and lightly browned.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetable mixture, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Whisk in broth, and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes and sour cream.
- Stir together chicken and cilantro in a large bowl; stir in vegetable mixture. Combine both cheeses in a small bowl.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Lightly brush each tortilla on both sides with oil. Cook tortillas, in batches, in hot skillet 1 to 2 minutes each side or until lightly browned and crisp on both sides.
- Line bottom of a lightly greased (with cooking spray) 13- x 9-inch baking dish with 6 tortillas, overlapping slightly, to cover bottom of dish. Top with half of chicken mixture and one-third of cheese. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining tortillas and cheese. Lightly coat a sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray, and cover baking dish.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned on top. Let stand 10 minutes before serving